U1: Assignment - WOL: The Monster Behind the Screen


U1: Assignment - WOL: The Monster Behind the Screen



Two weeks ago I completed and turned in my first eLearning module. It felt like a monstrous task. It was rough and choppy, and if I’d had a little extra time, I would’ve loved to spend a couple weeks refining it. I created it by first using Twine to create a wireframe, then building out the perceived design in Articulate Storyline 360. I’d never heard of either of those technologies before joining the LDT tribe, and I learned so much about them and about myself through those intense weeks. Because I was one hundred percent unfamiliar with either of those technologies, I had to contend with the monster behind the screen. The monster represented my fears of learning a new technology, and the anxiety I felt anytime I sat down to design my module.

In reference to emerging technology, Udell and Woodill note that, “The reaction to the new will be different for each individual, depending on the impact of the change on one’s life, one’s tolerance for change, and one’s ability to cope. Many of us welcome change and new technologies, and thrive in the novelty and wonder of what is coming next. Others experience turmoil… and a feeling of being overwhelmed with the requirements of managing all the new technologies that show up each year. Learning professionals are no different than anyone else; they will have a variety of reactions to the disruptive times we are going through (2019).” Their words encapsulate so many of the emotions I’ve had in regards to learning new technologies for this degree. I’ve run the gamut of the rollercoaster, from the bottom to the top of the curve.

When it comes to Rogers’ “Diffusions of Innovation” Curve, I can actually see myself in many of the roles Rogers described, depending on the circumstance. Before I began my Master’s in LDT, I would’ve emphatically put myself into the late majority category, rather than early innovator. My life seemed to run fairly smoothly; I was familiar with the technologies I currently (and finally) mastered; and I wasn't interested in trying and learning new technologies. I’ve had the same Iphone for years with no upgrades, and I also use a late model Apple watch. I’m sometimes resistant to change, especially if I can’t be convinced that it will improve my life in any way, or teach me anything I didn’t already know. Perhaps, though, the biggest resistance is the cost. If the technology is expensive, I figure I can live without it.

Furthermore, I was resistant to new and emerging educational technologies. I’ve always relied on my tech-savvy son to help me navigate the internet, utilize Google Suite tools, and navigate technologies that were difficult for me to learn. One technology that I’ve been eager to grasp, however, has been Google Docs. I could quickly see what a tool it was for any organization, especially since each individual could edit the same document. It eliminated the need for multiple meetings. The group could discuss ideas once, then continue writing notes and making changes in the document. It was brilliant!

In addition, pursuing this degree has definitely forced me out of those conservative comfort zones, and I have had to push myself to not only try new technologies, but to attempt to master them quickly, because the semesters move so rapidly. I had two choices- I could either jump in feet first and immerse myself in emerging technologies, or get out of the way for those who would. It was a bit daunting, but with resistance, I’ve started to become an early majority. I wish I could say I’ve completely seen the light and become an innovator, but I’m still a bit slow to fully embrace new technologies if they feel unfamiliar. It has taken me considerable effort to navigate the technologies I’ve been exposed to in this degree: Google Sites, Google Slides, PPT, Audacity, DaVinci Resolve, Twine and Articulate Storyline 360. However, this has helped me grow in exciting ways. I have more confidence in my abilities in the LDT field, as well as in my work and life. I have gained leadership skills, and am moving closer towards being an innovator. I like the way change feels, and am thrilled at the prospect of helping to change public education for good through learning design. 

Because it can be quite challenging for me to navigate new technologies, I feel this degree may be a little more difficult for me than someone who has a background in technology and is already familiar with many of the tools we’ve been using throughout the degree. There are so many small things I still haven’t mastered, such as downloading images into a format that I can use in an eLearning module, citing images and sources within a module, and using an Amazon S3 bucket to share information, to name a few. 

Understanding this knowledge gap is crucial to my success as a learning designer. The first step is recognizing that I’m still behind my peers when it comes to embracing and incorporating new and emerging technologies, and I must change my attitude if I’m going to get ahead in my field. I recognize that I need to spend my spare time practicing with these various technologies so I can become proficient, but perhaps even more importantly, so that I can quell my fear of the unknown. Most of the time things are only scary until I become intimately acquainted with them, and once I do that, I wonder why I was ever afraid of them in the first place. Most of the time, the monster behind the screen is just me allowing my fears to take shape, and overcoming them is as simple as diving in and trying new things.



References


Rare. (2015). Diffusion of Innovation Theory : The Adoption Curve [YouTube Video]. In YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QnfWhtujPA


Udell, C., & Woodill, G. (2019). Shock of the new : the challenge and promise of emerging technology. ATD Press.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why am I Here? How About I Show You

WOL Blog Post: Inclusive Learning Design Reflection

I’m Reevaluating the Curve